Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter 2014

I just love Easter.  It is the most important holiday in my faith and I am always thankful for the sacrifice God made in sending his Son but I love this holiday that really focuses on it.

We really want our kids to always know the magnitude of Christ's sacrifice so we don't play up the bunny and we try to keep God at the focus of our family always (you can read about that here). That being said, we love all the fun traditions that come along with Easter.

Andrew had Good Friday off so after lunch we headed back to Decatur to spend some time with my parents.  They were traveling on Saturday to see my brother and sister-in-law in Chicago so we wouldn't see them until church on Sunday.  We wanted to get in some special Easter time with them since the rest of our weekend was pretty packed.

The weather this past weekend could not have been more perfect.  So when we got to my parents the boys had their (first) egg hunt of the weekend.  They seriously loved it.







We went inside to empty their eggs.  It was HEAVY on the candy and snacks but the boys got some coins to put in their piggy banks.  I seriously have already started to hide the candy in our house so I am not tempted.  :)

We also got to go dinner with my parents that night.  I so enjoy being able to have time with my parents as a parent now myself.  I truly see the preciousness of that relationship and know that I hope my boys will grow into adults that Andrew and I love in a whole new way.  

The next day we went to have breakfast with Andrew's grandparents.  Don and Jo are so so sweet.  Jo is seriously such a gem.  She is the kind of grandma (and now great-grandma to our boys) that makes them quilts and bunnies for Easter, can sew anything, makes things like jam and biscuits from scratch.  People like that just amaze me and it comes so naturally to her.  She also raised three boys so I feel a bond in that too. :) Our boys are so lucky to have three sets of great-grandparents so involved in their lives.  They can learn so much from them.  Definitely blessed to have family so close. 

Hudson was in serious need of a haircut and this mama was really to the point of being done doing that nonsense.  Not that I mind really, but I feel like it takes me FOREVER and Hudson gets restless and then I get snappy and then don't want to do it so put it off for like ever which results in him looking like a rag muffin. He was such a stink about when he was little that I took it over but I mean, he's three now.  Kid has to start some big boy stuff ;) 

Fortunately there is this barber shop in town that I had seen other people go to and I knew they did kids.  So after breakfast we headed downtown.  And oh my, it was so cute.  Cute probably isn't the term the men that own the establishment want me to use to describe it but I loved it!  It smelled amazing, had such a charm about it.  And you know they did good work because it was walk in only (maybe they take appointments) and our little man had to wait like 45 minutes.  To which I will say this--totally worth it! Hud was done in like 15 minutes, the man that cut his hair was a DOLL and so sweet to Hudson and the boy looked adorable when it was done! That was worth it for this mama to be stress free in the hair cut realm. 


We then went to Andrew's parents' house where we were staying for the weekend.  The boys had lunch and played outside.  Hudson got to with Mimi to the circus later that afternoon.  He was pretty excited even though I don't think he really knew what to expect.  Hudson's cousins went too.  My SIL, Jaci, put this picture of the big two on Instagram.  You can totally tell they are cousins, right??!


After they got home we all had dinner and then we got things ready to dye eggs. Four kids, three and under- it was a hoot! They were all pretty into it really, even the littles! Hudson and Beau used their hands while the girls used the egg-grabbers. Lila was seriously clean when she left the table compared to Hudson's hands that looked like the Hulk! Boys! 







I am so grateful for cousins (on both sides) so close in age to our boys.  It has made holidays, family outings, and traditions so much fun!! 

The next morning our boys woke up to see what they got for Easter. They didn't wake up particularly early.  They still don't know to do that on Christmas and Easter and birthdays.  I'll take it while it lasts.  Then we all got ready and headed off for church.  



** I know that girls seem like so much fun to dress up and such but oh my I absolutely adore dressing up our boys like little men! Seriously- melts my heart!!

Church was amazing.  I get so much out of worshiping with my church family every week but oh how I love Easter.  I love our home church in Decatur so it is always sweet to be there for worship but especially so on Easter Sunday.  If you are in the Decatur, IL area and don't have a home church, I know First Christian Church would welcome you with open arms!!

After service we headed to Andrew's other grandparents.  The boys got to have their second egg hunt but not before pictures with cousins. 
First Cousins

Paisley, Lila, Hudson, Beau, Eli



Family of 4 (and a 1/2) Easter 2014

 Then the hunt was on! There were a ridiculous amount of eggs! Like, our kids all had two buckets! Ha! 









Then it was into play clothes and time for lunch! They opened their Easter baskets from Mimi and Papa and their great-grandparents and played to their  hearts content outside with bubbles.  We hate leaving but our boys were tired and driving home is always less thrilling.  Fortunately both boys napped the WHOLE two hours home.

It was such a wonderful weekend with our families.  Hard to believe next Easter we will have three little boys to share these memories with!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to this crazy life! Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers and connecting with you all! Xoxo~Bekah