Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Favorite Summer Reads

I love books! Reading has always been something I have enjoyed. I could literally devour a book in a day. I hate putting a book down and will often trade sleep to keep reading. 


Sadly, between motherhood, running my own business, teaching group fitness and just all life has in this season, I don't get to read as much as I like.  In the summer months however, I seem to be able to get more reading done. Whether that is because of time spent in the car traveling to weekends away or vacation, time out in the sun where I can read (and watch my kids play) or just a more lax schedule, I read books like it is no one's business. 

This summer was no different. I got to read several books and had some that I really loved and others that left me a bit disappointed. 

In case you are looking for some good reads to add to your list, here are my favorites; in no particular order. 

1. Nobody's Cuter Than You by Melanie Shankle 



Last summer I got hooked on Melanie's first two books. When I saw she had a new book out, I immediately added it to my Kindle and got to reading. The style of her writing; the way she can tell a story so you feel like you know the people involved and were actually there; the friendship she creates with her readers through pen and page, all reasons I love reading her books. 

This book about friendships had me in stitches from laughing so hard and then in deep reflection over my own friendships, both past and present. 

Nobody's Cuter Than You is one I will read again and one I am picking up for some of my besties!

2. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty 



Liane Moriarty was an author who I'd never read before this summer. I read two of her books and enjoyed both. Her character development was wonderful. The twists and turns in this story, and the next on my list, were ones I appreciated. Sometimes when reading, we can call the plot twists from just chapters in.  Not with this book. The story took it's time to develop but also never drug on. I love suspenseful books and this one didn't disappoint. 

3. What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty



Another great read! Completely different. I was so enthralled with the concept of this book and Alice's situation I couldn't put it down. 

4. You're Made For a God- Sized Dream by Holly Gerth



One of the aspects I love most about my job is the emphasis put on personal development. To continue to grow and learn and strive to be your best possible self is not something that we all naturally do on our own. Often, after schooling, we stop seeking ways to improve in our lives. Not just in what we do professionally but also as people. I try to read at least 10 minutes each day in whatever personal development book I am in at the time. This summer, I picked up the book named above and I LOVED it. I felt like the book was written to me, for me!

If you have ever had a dream placed in your heart but doubted yourself, the dream, if it is God's will, how to attain it--pick up this book.  One aspect of the book I probably loved most was that the dream itself wasn't what made it God-sized.  That not everyone is called to cross the ocean and be a missionary.  Sometimes being called to motherhood is the God-sized dream placed in our heart. 

Seriously--pick this one up! 


I am going to try to attempt keeping up my reading throughout the remainder of the year.  My goal is three books a month. One personal development, one parenting or devotional sort of book, and one for fun!

What did you read this summer? What are some must reads? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to this crazy life! Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers and connecting with you all! Xoxo~Bekah