Thursday, May 15, 2014

Thankful for sick days

I had another post planned for today but as luck would have it, life happened.  And in the midst of that life, these thoughts overwhelmed me.

Let me back up.  Today's agenda was quite clear.  I needed to clean the house.  The boys and I had been back in Decatur a lot the last couple of weeks (and our family is going to Decatur again this weekend to celebrate Uncle Aaron's graduation) so our house needed a good, deep clean.  Andrew had done his best at keeping it picked up, but we all know the difference between picked up and clean, right? *Ahem*

So I woke up and got in gear. However, when the boys woke up, Hudson was a little off.  He is our morning person.  He practically bounces out of bed and sings his good morning to you.  This morning, not the case.  He looked a little meek and said his throat hurt.  Well, what can you do for a sore throat? Not a whole lot. And with the weather going from summer to winter to spring this week, I just chalked it up to weather changes and told him to take it easy.

After I cleaned up breakfast and got us dressed, I made a list for Wal-Mart.  We needed a few household items and cleaning supplies so just a quick trip but Hudson kept making whining noises.  This exhausts me  tries my patience.  I ask him, "Do you think you are going to get sick?" **Sidenote- Hudson is our puker. When he doesn't feel well, especially with a sore throat, we usually get vomit. He assured me he was fine.

Our Wal-Mart trip took about 15 minutes.  That's right, folks. Be impressed. In our small town, it is just a regular ole Wal-Mart, not the super kind with groceries and given that it was still early in the day, it was not busy at all. So we are on our merry way, with Hudson still whining, and me continuing to ask the puke question.  I assure him he will be alright, let's just get home and then he can rest.

We make it home and are in the house and of course, it's been an hour, and this pregnant mama has drank about half a gallon of water already, so is scurrying to the bathroom after putting Hudson in bed.

Are you there with me yet? Do you see where this day is going? Not even washing my hands yet and Hudson is bursting through the door in tears and I just know.  It is coming and there is nothing I can do to stop it.  My poor guy get sick all over the bathroom.  And then starts really crying. Which makes Beau cry.  And I am just trying to wash my hands so I can handle this mess and not join him in throwing up.

I'll spare you the details, but Hudson also had gotten sick before making it to the bathroom.  In his bed.  You know, the one with the clean sheets from this morning's chore?

Now, let me be honest.  Normally these situations overwhelm me a little bit.  I don't really know why except that I am really OCD, hate sick kiddos because I feel helpless, but hate puke even more.  But today, no feeling of being overwhelmed.  I calmed Beau and Hudson, got everything cleaned up and re-sheeted the bed.  Then Hudson laid down and fell asleep.  As Beau and I were cleaning (read: I was cleaning, Beau was running between my feet so it was more a game of how long before the pregnant lady tumbles) I kept thinking, "Thank you God."

Wait- what? Really?

Yes.  Because I was home.  Last year whenever one of the boys would get sick, it was a scramble to decide who should stay home, who's schedule was less demanding that day.  Or if the sitter would call, trying to get sub plans ready hurriedly so I could be out the door. {And any teacher knows that sub plans are almost a punishment so you go to work even when you are not sure you can make just to avoid having to write them.}  Not today.  Today I could be there to calm my kids down.  I got to clean up his mess and dry his tears.  No worrying or rushing.

God reminded me today of how great His plans are for us.  He reminded me of the way He proves His love me over and over, through honoring the desire's of my heart but pointing out ways to be thankful I wouldn't have recognized a year ago.

So yes, I am thankful for the sick days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to this crazy life! Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers and connecting with you all! Xoxo~Bekah