Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Branson

I know I said July was full.  We were literally busy every weekend but every weekend was filled with family and fun and I would not have had it any other way.  Especially as it is the last month before becoming a family of 5 and all the busyness that will ensue with that transition as well as Hudson heading off to preschool! What!!!???

A few weeks ago we headed out mid-morning to meet Andrew's family (again) in Branson, MO.  Andrew hadn't been to Branson in years and I have never been.  I know it is famous for it's shows and touristy attractions but other than that didn't have any real idea what to expect.  The drive wasn't too bad.  It took about 6 hours total (maybe a bit less) and that includes a stop and a lunch break.  Our boys were fantastic.  They are really beginning to interact with one another and since Beau is talking more, they seem to share more conversations.  They watched one movie and then were content to take it all in!

Heading out


I shared on my Facebook page but there were so many funny little sayings we heard, I have to share them here too!

Hudson: Look at those horses!!
Beau: Moo!

Hudson: AHHH!
Andrew: what, bud?
H: I need to potty NOW!! {when this kid realizes he needs to go, there really is about a 5 second window. No worries; we made it!}

Hudson: Know what I'm drinking, mom? (We've stopped for lunch)
Me: what, babe?
H: Lemlonlaaaade. (Pauses looking at cup) Do you think this is made out of glass or plastic?


We got there late afternoon so we met up with his family, checked in, let the kids play a bit and then went to Panera for dinner.  We could have eaten anywhere but after being in a car all day I just really wanted a salad and our kids LOVE Panera.  Plus it was like 5 minutes away and I was all about not being in the car again for too long! 

The next day was very relaxed.  My father-in-law and brother-in-law, Aaron, drove down Friday night after Aaron got off work so didn't get in town until the wee morning hours.  We went to the grocery store to get some items for breakfast and lunches that week, and then spent the afternoon by the pool.  Our boys were in heaven! Another weekend to play in the water! Our boys ended up falling asleep late that afternoon since we skipped nap time so we didn't eat dinner until late.  Aaron and Jaci whipped up some Mexican and we us girls mapped out our Sunday plans.  

Sunday we headed over to Branson Landing to do a Duck Boat tour.  They have tours that go various places but our particular tour left from the Landing, took us to College of the Ozarks {did you know that the students there work to pay for their schooling/housing/etc so they leave with 0 student loans??}, around downtown and then out onto the water.  I'm not really all that sure that the kids cared about the tour part {until we got on the water} but the tour included these little duck quacker whistles and they were perfectly content blowing and playing with those! Except Paise--who slept the entire time! :) The other three all took turns driving the boat on the water too and thought that was pretty cool!

We rode some rides while we waited for our tour to start.

Hudson wasn't a fan on the noise

On the tour

That face!


From there we headed to the outlet malls to grab lunch and do some power shopping.  After lunch I swear it was every {wo}man for {her}self because Jaci, Vickie, and I all headed in separate directions on the hunt for what we had in mind! Hudson REALLY needed some fall pants. He is so thin that last year he still wore some of his 24 month/2T pants during the winter months.  It wasn't until right around his birthday that they got short so he had very few pairs of 3T to start the fall.  Beau got a few things and of course, baby G did too! Thank you Carters! 

Sidenote: Andrew was quite impressed {although I don't know why because I tend to shop this way all the time when we have our kiddos} that I found a wardrobe practically for the boys in about 15 minutes.  More impressed was he when I had googled a coupon for said wardrobes before the cashier had completed ringing us up.  $50 off our entire purchase--he was pleased! #noshameinmygame

We passed Beau off to my in-laws as we made our way into the Disney Store.  Our main reason for stopping was that Andrew and I had decided we wanted to get the boys some figurines of their favorite characters as big brother gifts for when G arrives.  Little did we know, Hudson would spot a Planes: Fire and Rescue backpack and be smitten! I mean smitten people!! We had been talking to him about getting a backpack for preschool but this mama isn't a huge fan of character apparel so wasn't really planning to go that route.  But y'all, he put it on, went to a mirror and turned around looking back to admire.  *Melt. My. Heart.*  He would have worn it out the store I am sure.  He was so stinking proud of that purchase! 

Then we ran into one last store, because at this point, it was way past nap time and our kids {all four} were fading fast.  I had passed Aaron once pushing Paisley in a stroller, bogged down with bags himself so I know Jaci was in power shopping mode herself.

Under Armour was calling my name.  I love workout clothes.  Love them! Always have! But before, when I didn't really workout, I couldn't justify the expense.  Now however, I told Andrew I needed new "work" clothes for fall.  He really couldn't deny me that since my uniform pretty much consists of workout clothes and he is probably tired of seeing me in my high school tees I've rocked this summer since pregnancy trumps fashion when playing with toddlers all day! :) 

When we made it back to our room our kids were hot so we decided to take them to the pool to cool down.  Lila, Mimi and Uncle Aaron joined us.  I am not sure who had more fun, the kids or Uncle Aaron and Andrew, but needless to say they all enjoyed themselves! I even rocked my teeny bikini and played with boys while getting some sun.  Heavenly!

We bathed our boys and pulled out the sleeper sofa for them to watch a movie while Andrew and I got ready for dinner.  I don't think Beau made it five minutes into the movie! They were so tired! 


That evening we went out for BBQ and ice cream and walked around some shops.  We all went to bed pretty early since the next day would be an earlier start.

Our boys were still sleeping when we drove to dinner!




Monday, after breakfast, we loaded up and headed to Table Rock Lake.  We had put in to rent a boat for the morning.  The weather was beautiful! Not a cloud in the sky! Not humid but warm enough already to want to be on the water! We brought some tubes and noodles with us and our kids all had their own life jackets.  It was so much fun! I love boating! My family used to boat every summer on our vacations so I have really fond memories.  And Hudson was his true self, jumping right into the water.  It took him a little bit to warm up; jumping into Andrew's arms, jumping off the side with Andrew, jumping off by himself, to eventually Andrew throwing him into the water.  And I don't mean a little toss.  Hudson got launched.  And LOVED it!! He was such a little fish! The water was perfect temperature and so clear.  Beau was a fan too..again..if he was with mama. But he also liked to play on the boat with Lila and the water squirters.  Paisley had fallen asleep, again. {It must have  been the lull of the boats!}

We were on the lake for about 4 hours.  Just as we were coming in to the dock did it start to get really busy.  And HOT! I am so glad we went out that morning and not during the afternoon!  When we got back to the rooms, we made lunch and then bathed the boys. I for sure thought they would pass right out in our bed with a movie on for a long nap.  I mean, they were non stop for the last 6 hours.  So I jumped in the shower and then did a little work and started my next book.  About 20 minutes into reading, both boys came around the corner.  I think the only one who had fallen asleep was Daddy because he came around the corner a few  minutes later looking quite sleepy! Our nieces, and everyone else, were still asleep so we took our  boys on a drive, looking for something to keep us occupied.  It turned out they just needed to get comfy because they both passed out in the car.  

We ordered pizza that night and then about 8 o' clock Andrew and I packed up the van to head home.  We originally were going to leave after breakfast on Tuesday morning but Hudson had preschool open house Tuesday night, our fridge was empty, and this mama was craving her own bed.  So we drove through the night, which I prefer anyway, and got home a little before two.  Andrew already had Tuesday off so we had a late breakfast, got caught up around the house and had a lazy day before Hudson's open house that night.  

It was another really great weekend together.  I couldn't believe how many times I looked at Hudson and Beau and saw how BIG they were getting.  Beau still has such a baby look about him but every now and then I saw it- another big boy. And Hudson's independence blows me away.  It hurts to see how big they are getting but also made me thankful for our time away.  Made me mindful of how intentional Andrew and I need to be in our parenting.  And grateful that soon I would have another newborn to snuggle when I feel like my boys are getting too big on me! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to this crazy life! Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers and connecting with you all! Xoxo~Bekah